Search form

Graphic Standards FAQs

Why is it important to follow the Graphic Standards?

Everyone involved in communications at ASU has a responsibility to apply the identity in a consistent and accurate way. ASU's Graphic Standards contain guidelines for the proper use of the identity. It describes authorized usage for communication of all kinds. Any exceptions to the requirements of the Graphic Standards must be approved by the President's Office.

May I use Sparky on our fliers and t-shirts, and who do I talk to for approval to use him?

The official ASU mascot, Sparky, is reserved for use by athletics and officially registered student organizations. University offices and employees may not use Sparky on publications or on web sites. Student organizations registered on the Tempe campus with the Student Organizations Resource Center (SORC) may use Sparky on fliers with approval from SORC staff and on t-shirts with approval from the Coordinator for Trademark and Licensing (480-727-7848). Registered student organizations on the Polytechnic campus should contact the Director of Student Activities (480-727-1215). Registered student organizations on the West campus should contact the Student Life Graphic Designer (602-543-8155), for the authorized digital files.

When may I use the seal?

The Seal of the University represents the highest ideals and mission of the university and is, therefore, used on formal and official documents, such as diplomas, transcripts and contracts. It is also used to recognize excellence in academics and service, such as on certificates to honor completion of an academic specialization or in recognition of a retirement. You must receive permission from the President's Office to use the seal.

Where can I download ASU photos?

Go to to view and download recent and available photographs taken in and around ASU.

What are the university fonts?

Go to to learn more about the Universiity fonts. ASU has purchased a license for Akzidenz Grotesk in the amount of $28 per license for each computer. All Akzidenz Grotesk purchases must be made through Brand Council .

Can my unit have a unique logo?

All university units are required to use the ASU sunburst logo as their only graphic logo. Certain units may be eligible for an endorsed brand which is explained in more detail in the Endorsed Branding section of the Communications Guide.

How do I request an exception to the business system or any other component of the Graphic Standards?

You may submit your request, with examples and justification by fax at 480-965-2159 or call for further information, (602) 496-1038.

May students have ASU business cards?

No, individual students, student workers, members of student organizations, and graduate students may not have business cards with the ASU logo or word mark. Officers and paid staff members of Associated Students of Arizona State University (ASASU) are granted permission to have ASU business cards, with specific requirements.

May I print a double-sided business card?

Yes. The ASU business card can be two sided as long as the information is representing Arizona State University on both sides and conforms to the ASU graphic standards. Some examples of usage for the back side of a business card include foreign translations, mission statements of a unit, employees who represent 2 different units, employees who have multiple titles or promotion of sustainability efforts.

May businesses and individuals outside of the university use the logos and marks of the university?

Entities external to the university must have approval from the Coordinator for Trademark and Licensing (480-727-7848) to use one of the marks.

This page was last modified on March 10, 2014